This vegan and gluten-free white bean shepherd’s pie recipe is both tasty and easy to make. With a little planning, you can prepare it in about an hour. Jump to recipe →
Shepherd’s pie is traditionally made with meat filling and a mashed potato crust. It’s the ultimate cold-weather comfort food and healthy plant-based versions are popular. Some are more complicated than others. This White Bean Shepherd’s Pie recipe is both tasty and easy to make.
3 Things Inspired This Recipe
- I was looking for a gluten-free plant-based alternative to chicken potpie. (My family loves chicken potpie…)
- I discovered Pinch of Yum’s delicious Cauliflower Sauce.
- I decided navy beans would work just fine as a chicken substitute.
White Bean Shepherd’s Pie
This White Bean Shepherd’s Pie requires a few extra steps compared to the quick and easy recipes I usually share. But it’s not difficult.
The trick is to cook the potatoes, cauliflower and veggies for the filling at the same time. This way you can:
- Make the cauliflower sauce when the veggies for the filling are nearly done.
- Finish the white bean filling when the potatoes are nearly done.
- Mash the potatoes, spread them over the filling and pop the pie into the oven.
Note: I do not include nutrition information with my recipes because I subscribe to the theories presented in the book Whole and believe we should focus on eating a variety of whole foods instead of counting calories or keeping track of individual nutrients.