Learn more about Veggie Primer and founder Margaret Helthaler…
Hi! I’m Margaret—a plant-based nutrition advocate who also happens to be an artist, educator, wife, and mom living in the Catskill/Hudson Valley region of upstate New York.
Why I Created This Blog
I created Veggie Primer to share what I've learned since adopting a plant-based lifestyle in 2011.
About My Food Philosophy
Based on my continued research and reading, I believe:
- Nearly everyone benefits from eating more plants.
- If you are unwilling to give up animal products altogether, you should try to reduce the central role they play in your diet.
- You will likely feel better if you stop eating dairy products.
- Processed vegetable oils should be limited or avoided when possible. However, your diet should include healthy fats from whole-food sources like avocados, nuts, and seeds.
- Sweeteners should be limited or avoided. When necessary, the best options are whole fruits, dates, molasses, and maple syrup. Agave nectar is too high in fructose.
- All whole grains are good unless you have an allergy or gluten sensitivity. You should avoid the grains you have trouble with, but should not avoid grains entirely.
- Some processed foods are good for you. But most processed foods are crap.
- It's important to eat a balanced diet with a variety of whole foods.
How This Blog Will Help You
The content is divided into three sections:
- Recipes – Think you don’t have the time or the skill to cook?
This section includes simple vegan, gluten-free recipes that are easy to prepare.
- Tips – Interested in learning more about the relationship between food and wellbeing and how to make your days more manageable?
This section explores various topics related to achieving and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
- Resources – Wondering if I know what I’m talking about?
This section identifies the real experts—the books, authors, and researchers I rely on to form the opinions I share throughout this blog.
More about Me
Please feel free to contact me.