This gluten-free vegan quick rice and beans dish is a lifesaver on busy weeknights. It’s tasty and filling, and you can use the leftovers in a variety of ways!
Meals pulled together quickly with ingredients you have on hand are the best! Who wants to labor over recipe details? If you don’t have cooked rice on hand, you can set up your rice cooker in the morning, so the rice is ready by dinner time.
But what if you don't have a rice cooker? Well, the boil-in-a-bag approach is still better than most processed food. I'm not ashamed to admit I use this method when pinched for time.
🧾 Foods to Keep on Hand
If you keep these ingredients on hand, you can always toss together this meal of quick rice and beans:
- canned beans
- frozen veggies
- cooked rice (or Success Boil in a Bag Brown Rice)
- canned diced tomatoes
- chili powder
- ground cumin
🍲 Make it Your Way
It's fun to experiment with different kinds of beans, frozen veggies, and dark leafy greens. Try white beans with broccoli. You can also substitute quinoa, buckwheat, or millet for the rice. (These grains cook more quickly than rice. So they are also good options if time is short.) Frozen cauliflower rice is another great option—especially if you want to make a lower calorie dish. You can cook it with the other veggies.
I encourage you to make this recipe your own. Try different sauces and spices and experiment with ingredients you enjoy. And be sure to share your ideas in the comment area below. I'd love to hear about your creations!
Warmed leftovers make a great lunch. They are yummy on their own, or you could serve them over a baked sweet potato or with salad greens in a whole grain wrap.
Quick Rice and Beans
- 3 cups long grain brown rice cooked
- 2 cups black beans or one 15.5 oz low sodium canned beans
- 29 oz diced tomatoes with green chilies or two 14.5 oz cans, undrained
- 8 oz frozen sweet corn
- 16 oz frozen peppers and onions
- 8 oz leafy greens (fresh or frozen kale, collard greens, or spinach)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and diced (optional)
- 2.25 oz sliced black olives or one small can (optional)
- 2-4 stems cilantro chopped (optional)
- Combine canned tomatoes, frozen vegetables, cumin and chili powder in a 5-quart nonstick sauté pan and set to medium high heat on stove.
- Stir with a stiff spatula and cover.
- If using canned beans, rinse and drain before adding to pan.
- If using fresh leafy greens, rinse and chop before adding to pan.
- Simmer on medium/high for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce to medium heat, add cooked rice and stir until warmed through.
- Serve in pasta bowls topped with diced avocado, sliced black olives and chopped cilantro.