This quick and easy vegan black bean wrap is made with healthy ingredients that are easy to keep on hand—and it travels well for on-the-go lunches!
This black bean wrap is a lunchtime favorite—especially when I’m pressed for time. Our busy lives can make it hard to eat healthy!
I recall a morning when my daughter’s school had a two-hour delay and then I had to rush off to a dentist appointment. By the time I returned home I only had a few minutes to throw together a quick lunch before I faced an afternoon full of meetings.
Times like these are when we want to reach for something easy and satisfying and are most likely to making poor choices.
A Little Planning Makes It Easy
A little planning goes a long way. My article 6 Processed Foods That Will Help You Eat Healthier shares tips that help me stay on track. Keeping these items on hand allows me to create healthy meals when I might otherwise reach for junk food.
This black bean wrap recipe features four of the six foods: frozen veggies, canned beans, salsa, and a whole grain tortilla.
How to Wrap a Tortilla
Not sure how to wrap a tortilla? Watch this quick video.
Black Bean Wrap
- 1 large tortilla (whole grain or gluten-free)
- ⅓ cup salsa (I like Chi Chi’s Thick and Chunky – Mild)
- ⅓ cup black beans (low sodium, rinsed and drained if using canned)
- ¼ cup organic frozen corn
- ¼ avocado chopped
- 1 Tbsp. black olives sliced
- 1 cup baby greens (arugula is especially yummy)
- 2 sprigs cilantro (optional)
- Place frozen corn in a strainer and rinse with warm water for about ½ minute until thawed.
- Warm tortilla in microwave about 30 seconds.
- Pour salsa in a strip on the half of the tortilla that's closest to you.
- Spread black beans, corn, avocado and olives over salsa.
- Tear leaves off cilantro stems and sprinkle over bean mixture. (Discard stems.)
- Top with baby greens.
- Fold side edges of wrap over the ingredients and then roll from the front edge closest to you.
- Slice the wrap in half and enjoy!