5 Simple Ingredients
Store-bought veggie burgers can be pricey and often include a number of highly processed ingredients. These sweet potato veggie burgers feature just five ingredients and they’re quick and easy to make. The recipe is inspired by dietitian Jeff Novick’s Fast Food: Vol 2 – Burgers and Fries DVD. Mr. Novick shares a basic formula for making healthy, affordable veggie burgers and offers suggestions on how to create different burger variations.
You begin by mashing some beans with a potato masher. I find a pushing twisting motion works best. Note, Mr. Novick claims kidney beans produce the best burgers and advises to always include them in recipe variations. I don’t usually have kidney beans in stock (my husband hates them) so I just used pinto beans – which are very similar. However, I suspect my burgers may be a little softer than Mr. Novick’s… You may wish to purchase his DVD and try your own variations!
Grill or Broil in 6 minutes
A number of veggie burger recipes instruct you to bake the burgers. The nice thing about these burgers is you can grill or broil them in about six minutes.
Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers with Quick Guacamole
- 4 Ezekiel 4:9® Sprouted Whole Grain English Muffins or Gluten-Free Multi Seed English Muffins
- 14 oz canned low sodium pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup old fashion rolled oats *
- 1/2 cup baked sweet potato mashed
- 1/4 cup salsa plus1 Tbsp., divided
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 avocado
- 4 slices red onion thin
- baby romaine lettuce
- Mash pinto beans with a potato masher.
- Add oats, sweet potato, 1 tbs salsa and cumin and mix well.
- Divide mixture into 4 equal parts and form into patties.
- Place patties on a plate and store in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to allow burgers to set.
- Heat a grill pan on medium-high heat until you can feel heat rising when you place your hand a few inches above it.
- Place burgers on grill pan (should hear a sizzling sound if pan is sufficiently heated), cover and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Turn burgers, cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- While burgers are resting in the refrigerator, peel avocado and mash with a fork.
- Add ¼ cup of salsa to mashed avocado and mix well.**
- While burgers are cooking, slice English muffins in half and toast lightly in a toaster oven.
- Place cooked burgers on English muffins and top with sliced onion, baby romaine and quick guacamole.
Note: I do not include nutrition information with my recipes because I subscribe to the theories presented in the book Whole and believe we should focus on eating a variety of whole foods instead of counting calories or keeping track of individual nutrients.