This basic vegan breakfast smoothie formula offers enough variety for a different twist each morning!
A Quick Breakfast
I developed this basic vegan breakfast smoothie formula to entice my daughter to eat breakfast.
She wasn't much of a morning person. (To be honest, she still isn't – but now she's in college.) So, getting her to eat what I consider to be the most important meal of the day was a challenge.
This recipe offered a great compromise because she could drink it relatively quickly. It became her go-to breakfast throughout high school.
It didn't leave her feeling overly full, stuck with her 'till lunchtime and allowed me to sneak more dark leafy greens into her diet!
Mix and Match Ingredients
The base ingredients are plant milk (or water) and banana. Banana adds a sweet and creamy consistency.
However, if you don't like banana, you can substitute a handful of chopped mango and one or two pitted Medjool dates.
Then add a handful of leafy greens. Try baby spinach, kale, swiss chard, collard greens and more. Just be sure to avoid using the same type of greens too many days in a row. It's important to eat a variety of greens.
Next, add a handful of frozen fruit. The type of fruit you select, will impact the overall flavor and color. I like to rotate between blueberries, cherries and strawberries.
Last, throw in some nuts or seeds for a bit of protein and healthy fat. I tend to rotate between hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds and flax seeds. Once in a while, I add a some shredded coconut.
And, if you want extra flavor, try adding a quarter teaspoon of ground cinnamon or ginger. Experiment with different ingredient combinations to discover your favorites!
Basic Vegan Breakfast Smoothie Formula
- 1 cup plant-based milk (or water)
- 1 small banana (or a handful of chopped mango and 1 or 2 pitted Medjool dates)
- 1 cup fresh dark leafy greens (or ½ cup frozen spinach, kale, swiss chard or collard greens)
- 1 cup frozen fruit (blueberries, strawberries, mixed berries, cherries, pineapple, etc.)
- 1 Tbsp. nuts or seeds (hemp seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, almonds, etc.)
- Place ingredients into a high-powered blender in the order they are listed.
- Begin blending on lowest setting and slowly turn up to highest setting.
- Blend on high for approximately 30 seconds.
- Serve immediately.