Apple peanut spring rolls – this easy, raw, vegan, gluten-free recipe offers a lovely blend of textures and sweet spicy flavors – they are deceptively simple and filling.
Spring rolls are delicious any time of year!
While they evoke a sense of lighter fare, brown rice spring roll wrappers are surprisingly hearty. I would venture to say these Apple Peanut Spring Rolls make a satisfying meal!
No Need to Dip
Spring rolls are traditionally served with a dipping sauce. Dipping can be problematic. In addition to the infamous concerns with double-dipping (remember the classic Seinfeld episode?), you can lose a good chunk of the filling when you dip.
I like to mix the sauce with the filling so there’s no need to dip!
As I mentioned in my Teriyaki Veggie Spring Rolls recipe, brown rice spring roll wrappers are surprisingly easy to work with!
Rolls can be assembled in 3 easy steps:
- Dip wrapper in warm water and lay on plate.
- Place filling in center of wrapper.
- Fold sides of wrapper over the filling, fold front then roll.
Apple Peanut Spring Rolls
Like apples with peanut butter? Then you are going to love these Apple Peanut Spring Rolls.
A bunch of tasty ingredients further enhance the sweet taste of apple and mildly spicy peanut sauce:
You can also add chopped peanuts if you want some extra crunch. The end result is a lovely blend of textures and sweet spicy flavors.
Apple Peanut Spring Rolls
- 12 brown rice spring roll wrappers
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp. low sodium Tamari
- 1 Tbsp. brown rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 small red onion
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 organic apple
- 3/4 cup raisins
- Combine 1/2 cup of water, peanut butter, garlic, Tamari, rice vinegar, maple syrup, ground ginger and crushed red pepper flakes in a high-speed blender.
- Begin blending on low and slowly turn up to medium high (7 on Vitamix). Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until sauce reaches a smooth consistency.
- Add shredded cabbage to a large mixing bowl.
- Pulse baby spinach in food process fitted with an S blade until it is finely chopped.
- Scrape spinach into mixing bowl and repeat the chopping process with the onion, carrots and apple until all are finely chopped and added to the mixing bowl. (Cut onion in half and quarter apple and remove seeds prior to chopping.)
- Add raisins and peanut sauce to the chopped veggies and stir to mix well.
How to Assemble
- Fill a large bowl with warm water and set it next to a large plate.
- Submerge one spring roll wrapper in the warm water for about 20 seconds and then place the wrapper on the large plate.
- Place about 3 tbsp. of filling in the center of the wrapper.
- Carefully fold sides of wrapper over filling and then fold the front over and roll forward to wrap and seal the roll.
- Repeat with remaining spring roll wrappers.
- Serve immediately or cover with a damp paper towel and store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for later.
Note: I do not include nutrition information with my recipes because I subscribe to the theories presented in the book Whole and believe we should focus on eating a variety of whole foods instead of counting calories or keeping track of individual nutrients.