The ingredients in this gluten-free vegan recipe for white bean mango spring rolls also make a great salad or sandwich wrap. Go where your mood takes you.
One of the things I love about spring rolls is how easy they are to prepare. In this recipe, you chop and combine the veggies as if you are making a salad.
You can stop there if you want to. It's tempting. I had to stop myself from shoveling spoonfuls into my mouth. However, self-discipline won the day, and I spooned (most) of the ingredients onto spring roll wrappers instead.
How to Fold
If the act of assembling spring rolls intimidates you, have no fear. It's pretty simple.
You just dip the wrapper in warm water for about 20 seconds. Then you add 2-3 spoonfuls of ingredients to the center to the wrapper. Fold the sides of the wrapper over the ingredients. Fold over the front, then roll. But you need to work quickly, or things can get sticky. The wrapper in these photos looks a little sad because I stopped to take the pictures.
I've been on a mango kick. (Love this fiber-rich fruit!) I first enjoyed a version of this recipe as a sandwich wrap. Then I decided it would make an excellent spring roll.
You can use all kinds of beans - including black beans. But I like the lightness white beans bring to the mix. A simple lime dressing further enhances the pleasing combination of:
- red onion
- baby spinach
Go ahead and try it as a salad, wrap or spring roll! And be sure to share pics and comments. 🙂
White Bean Mango Spring Rolls
- 12 brown rice spring roll wrappers
- 1 mango peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 cup white beans cooked (or black beans)
- ½ large red onion diced
- ½ large cucumber peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 cups baby spinach chopped (or other dark leafy green)
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted, and diced
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- Combine mango, beans, onion, cucumber, spinach, and avocado in a mixing bowl.
- Add maple syrup to lime juice and stir to mix.
- Pour lime dressing over ingredients in mixing bowl and stir to mix.
- Fill a large bowl with warm water and set it next to a large plate.
- Submerge one spring roll wrapper in the warm water for about 20 seconds and then place the wrapper on the large plate.
- Place about 3 Tbsp. of filling in the center of the wrapper.
- Carefully fold sides of wrapper over filling and then fold over the front and roll forward to wrap and seal the roll.
- Repeat with remaining spring roll wrappers.
Note: I do not include nutrition information with my recipes because I subscribe to the theories presented in the book Whole and believe we should focus on eating a variety of whole foods instead of counting calories or keeping track of individual nutrients. Note: This page contains affiliate links. Veggie Primer may earn a commission if you use the links. I only recommend items/brands I use and trust.