I begin my day with a version of this raw vegan oatmeal just about every morning. I prefer the chewy texture and flavor of raw oats compared to cooked oatmeal and this hearty mixture fortifies my morning walks and sticks with me ‘til lunchtime. The different combinations of ingredients offer plenty of variety. Honestly, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day!
When I travel I mix individual servings and seal them in plastic bags. Depending on the means of transportation, I will also pack a box of rice milk or purchase some when I arrive at my destination. This guarantees I will have a healthy breakfast regardless of where I am staying.
Raw Vegan Oatmeal Mix
- 3/4 cup dry old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice or allspice)
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax seed (or chia seeds, hemp seeds or wheat germ*)
- 1/4 cup raisins (or dried cranberries, chopped dried apricots or other dried fruit)
- 1/2 sliced banana (or strawberries, blueberries** or 2 chopped medjool dates)
- 1-2 Tbsp. chopped walnuts (or sliced almonds, chopped pecans, pumpkins seeds or sunflower seeds)
- 1 cup plant milk (I prefer rice milk)
Combine selection of dry ingredients in a bowl.
Add preferred amount of plant milk and enjoy!
*If you are sensitive to gluten, be sure to use gluten-free oats and avoid using wheat germ.
**I often use frozen fruit – especially frozen blueberries. Warm in microwave or set the amount needed out the night before so it's thawed by morning.
Note: I do not include nutrition information with my recipes because I subscribe to the theories presented in the book Whole and believe we should focus on eating a variety of whole foods instead of counting calories or keeping track of individual nutrients.