This vegan parmesan roasted potatoes & butternut squash recipe looks fancy enough for a holiday side dish, but is simple enough for busy weeknight meals.
Looking for a colorful side dish for your holiday table? Would you also like one that’s tasty and easy to prepare? This Vegan Parmesan Roasted Potatoes & Butternut Squash recipe fits the bill.
Potatoes and squash offer a nice contrast of color and flavor. Dried cranberries add additional color and a touch of sweetness. Dried thyme and vegan Parmesan provide a savory hint of cheese. It looks fancy, but it’s actually very simple!
How To Cut A Butternut Squash
Cutting the butternut squash is the only part of the recipe that can be a little tricky. You want to be sure you have a sharp chef’s knife and a good vegetable peeler. Then follow these steps:
- Cut off top and bottom of squash.
- Stand squash on flat end of rounded bottom and slice down the center with hands on both ends of the knife.
- Scoop out seeds with a large spoon and peel skin with a vegetable peeler.
- Slice each half in two – just above the round bottom.
- Slice each piece into strips lengthwise then chop into smaller pieces.
Here’s a video demo you may find helpful:
5 Easy Steps
The challenge of cutting hard butternut squash aside, this Vegan Parmesan Roasted Potatoes & Butternut Squash recipe can be prepared in 5 easy steps:
- Chop potatoes and squash.
- Coat with dried thyme and vegan Parmesan cheese.
- Toss mixture in a baking dished coated with olive oil.
- Roast at 400 degrees F for 1 hour. (Stir every 15 minutes.)
- Add dried cranberries during the last 15 minutes of roasting.
How’s that for simple? In just over an hour you will have a tasty colorful dish for your holiday table. But why save it for special occasions? This Vegan Parmesan Roasted Potatoes & Butternut Squash recipe also makes a good side dish for busy weeknight dinners. I’m serving it tonight with some Kale Veggie Burgers…
Vegan Parmesan Roasted Potatoes & Butternut Squash
- ½ butternut squash peeled, seeded and chopped into 1-2chunks*
- 4 potatoes large, scrubbed and chopped into 1-2chunks (I like to use Yukon Gold)
- ¼ cup low sodium vegetable broth
- ½ Tbsp. dried thyme
- ⅓ cup vegan Parmesan cheese - see recipe
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup dried cranberries optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place chopped squash and potatoes in a large mixing bowl and pour vegetable broth over them. Use a large spoon or your hands to mix until all of the pieces are coated with the vegetable broth.
- Sprinkle thyme over squash and potatoes and mix until all pieces are coated.
- Sprinkle vegan Parmesan over squash and potatoes and mix again until all pieces are coated. (I find it helpful to add about ⅓ of the Parmesan at a time and mix well before adding more.)
- Add 2 tbsp. of olive oil to a 9x13-baking dish and use a paper towel to coat the bottom and sides of the dish.
- Spread squash and potatoes in the baking dish and bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour – stir the mixture every 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with dried cranberries for the last 15 minutes of baking, if desired.
- Let cool for a couple of minutes before serving.
I welcome questions and comments!