This rice cooker pasta and veggies recipe is a tasty vegan and gluten free version of American Goulash made with minimal effort and simple ingredients.
Sometimes you just want to get dinner on the table. I rely on this Rice Cooker Pasta and Veggies recipe when my schedule is overloaded. It’s a tasty meal you can make with minimal effort and it’s easy to keep the ingredients on hand.
My Version of American Goulash
American Goulash is one of the first meals I learned to prepare as a young adult. You brown some ground beef, add pasta sauce, cooked pasta and mixed veggies – stir it all together and voila – you have a meal!
Naturally I gravitated to making a plant-based version of American Goulash when I began experimenting with rice cooker pasta.
Why a rice cooker? Because you can toss in the ingredients and practically forget about them!
This recipe features just a few basic ingredients:
- Pasta sauce
- Frozen veggies
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
I find this simple combination just as satisfying as the original meat laden version. However, if you really have a yen for a meaty texture you could try adding some cooked lentils to the dish. I’ve been known to add left over lentil taco “meat.” Apparently I have no respect for the ethnic boundaries of cuisine. I say all is fair in the pursuit of a quick and tasty meal.
Rice Cooker Pasta and Veggies
- 48 oz pasta sauce (I use 2 24 oz. jars of Barilla Tomato and Basil)
- 16 oz gluten-free pasta (I use Tinkyáda)
- 16-20 oz frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup frozen cut leaf spinach
- 3 cups water
- vegan Parmesan cheese to taste - see recipe.
- Thaw frozen veggies ahead of time or microwave 4-6 minutes on high until no longer frozen. (Stir at least once during microwaving.)
- Add pasta sauce, pasta, thawed veggies and water to rice cooker and stir to mix.
- Close rice cooker and cook on white rice setting.
- Midway through cooking (after about 20 minutes) carefully open rice cooker and stir pasta. Close cooker and allow cooking to continue.
- When cooking is complete stir pasta to mix, then spoon into pasta bowls.
- Sprinkle with vegan parmesan cheese and serve.