I invite you to join me in a food journal challenge.
Stress and all the taste testing that goes along with recipe development have caused me to gain a few pounds. Even when you eat healthy foods, you need to remain mindful of how much you are eating.
I find keeping a food journal is a good way to start or get back on track with mindful eating. So I’ve decided to create a food journal challenge. For the month of August, I will document all my meals on Instagram with the hashtag #foodjournal_VP.
Follow me to learn more about the ins and outs of my plant-based lifestyle. Join me by recording your meals with the hashtag #foodjournal_VP. We can share ideas and encourage one another.
Benefits of Keeping A Food Journal
Keeping track of when, what, why and how much you eat will likely lead to several positive outcomes.
- Less overeating – you are less likely to overeat when you have to write down everything you consume.
- Healthier choices – you are liable to make healthier choices when you feel more accountable.
- A more balanced diet – you are apt to eat a more balanced diet when you are aware of the foods you eat each day.
- Gained insight – You may identify food sensitivities or emotional eating if you make a connection between what you eat and how you feel.
- Less stress – you may reduce stress through the mindful act of journaling itself.
Basic Food Journal Guidelines
Food journals range from simple to complex. The more information you include, the more you will get out of the process. A basic approach would include:
- What you eat – add everything!
- When you eat – categorize by meal or time of day
A more detailed approach would include:
- What you eat – again, add everything!
- How much you eat – note specific amounts or portion size
- When you eat – categorize by time of day
- Where you eat – identify the location (e.g. sitting at your desk, standing in the kitchen, etc.)
- Why you eat – hunger, habit or food craving?
- How you feel – note how you feel before and after you eat
I usually go the simple route when I keep a food journal. I note what and when I eat and will sometimes add a few other details. However, I recommend a more detailed approach if you are food journaling for the first time. I will share a mix of information in this Food Journal Challenge. I hope you can join me! Invite your friends!