This moist gluten-free chocolate snack cake recipe couldn’t be easier. You mix and bake it in the same pan! Plus it's vegan and low in fat!
What Is a Snack Cake?
A snack cake is a small one-layer cake—usually baked in an 8-inch square pan. Made with wholesome ingredients, this cake is a guiltless treat you can prepare in less than an hour!
What Makes It Healthier?
Some basic substitutions help make this cake a bit healthier:
- Apple sauce replaces half of the oil
- Maple syrup replaces cane sugar
- Vinegar and baking soda replace eggs
Additionally, I find Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour works best. Their Gluten-Free 1:1 Baking Flour is great for cookies and pie crust, but it seems to make a gummy cake.
Also, I usually use Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Mini Chips or Dark Chocolate Morsels. You can sprinkle them on top (see photo above) or mix them in the batter (see below.) Either way, the cake is filled with chocolatey goodness! And it doesn’t get much better than that!
How to Make It Extra Fancy
This gluten-free chocolate snack cake is delicious on its own. But, if you want to make it extra fancy, you can stir the chocolate chips in the batter and top it with Dark Chocolate Avocado Frosting.
This is our go-to combination when we celebrate birthdays for the chocolate lovers in our family.
Gluten Free Chocolate Snack Cake
- 1 ⅔ cups gluten-free all purpose flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- ¼ cup dark cocoa
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. grape seed oil plus enough unsweetened apple sauce to equal ⅓ cup
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (gluten-free and diary-free)
- Preheat toaster oven or conventional oven to 350° (I like to use my convection toaster oven)
- Add dry ingredients (except chocolate chips) to an ungreased 8x8 baking dish and mix with a fork until well blended
- Add wet ingredients and continue to mix with a fork – making sure to scrape along bottom and edges of baking dish – until well combined
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on top
- Bake approximately 30 minutes at 350° (if using convection oven) or 35-40 minutes (if using conventional oven) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for at least one hour prior to cutting