This vegan breakfast smoothie formula offers enough variety for a different twist each morning!
My daughter doesn’t like to eat breakfast. Being a firm believer in the adage “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day,” I’ve looked for ways to entice her to partake in a morning meal. This vegan breakfast smoothie recipe offers a great compromise. She can drink it relatively quickly, it doesn’t leave her feeling overly full – yet sticks with her ‘til lunchtime, and I can sneak more dark leafy greens into her diet!
Vegan Breakfast Smoothie Formula
- 1 cup plant-based milk (I prefer rice or almond milk)
- 1 small banana
- 1 cup fresh dark leafy greens (or 1/2 cup frozen spinach, kale, swiss chard or collard greens)
- 1 cup frozen fruit (blueberries, strawberries, mixed berries, pineapple, etc.)
- 1 Tbsp. nuts or seeds (hemp seeds, ground flax seeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, slivered almonds, etc.)
- 1-2 Tbsp. Medjool dates (pitted, or 1-2 Tbsp. shredded coconut)
Place ingredients into a high-powered blender in the order they are listed.
Begin blending on lowest setting and slowly turn up to highest setting.
Blend on high for approximately 30 seconds.
Flax seeds and chia seeds can act as a thickening agent, so you may wish to use slightly less than a tablespoon when adding these ingredients to your smoothie – unless you prefer thicker smoothies.
Experiment with different ingredient combinations to discover your favorites!
Note: I do not include nutrition information with my recipes because I subscribe to the theories presented in the book Whole and believe we should focus on eating a variety of whole foods instead of counting calories or keeping track of individual nutrients.