These plant-based dairy substitutes recipes make going dairy-free a whole lot more appealing!
Maybe you’ve decided to eliminate dairy from your diet for health reasons. Perhaps you’re rethinking dairy from an ethical perspective. Either way, the idea of giving up your beloved dairy products can seem daunting.
There was time when I couldn’t imagine life without cheese and ice cream. Yet I couldn’t help but notice they made my digestive system scream to a halt. (This is my delicate way of saying they made me constipated.) I took the leap when I switched to a plant-based diet and it was all systems go after that. (If you catch my drift.)
Rather than face life without my aforementioned favorites, I began to explore plant-based alternatives. My daughter was especially appreciative of my efforts when we discovered her dairy intolerance.
Some friends recently learned they also need to avoid dairy. So I decided to reach out to my fellow food bloggers and ask them to share their best plant-based dairy substitutes recipes. What follows is a collection of recipes they submitted, along with some favorites I discovered during my initial research.
Plant-Based Dairy Substitutes
I’d be lost without some milk on my morning oatmeal. I’m fond of Wegman’s rice milk, but you can also make your own! The Blender Girl shares a wonderful array of plant-based milk recipes on her site.
Or you could try the Date Sweetened Hazelnut Milk by Elephantastic Vegan pictured above.
The Maple Turmeric Hemp Milk recipe shared by Other Than Salad is also worth a gander!
Ah cheese. Who doesn’t love it?
My family tends to use Daiya brand dairy-free soy-free slices and shreds for sandwiches and pizza, but Vegan Richa shares a Nut-Free Vegan Nacho Cheese Slices recipe I’m itching to try!
Here are more plant-based cheese recipes shared by my fellow bloggers:
Blocks, Balls & Spreads
- Vegan Tofu Feta Cheese by Green Evi (pictured above)
- Garlic Basil Vegan Ricotta “Cheese” Spread by Vegetarian Gastronomy
- Smoked Jalepeno Cheddar Cheese by My Darling Vegan
- Vegan Cheese Ball by Vegan Richa
- Everything Bagel Cheese Ball by Peace Meal XO
- Garlic and Sun-Dried Tomato Cheese Ball by Peace Meal XO
- Smoky Cashew Chipotle Cheese by Tasting Page
- Pine Nut Cheese by Sweets & Greens
- My Go-To Vegan Cashew Cheese Sauce by Dianne’s Vegan Kitchen
- Curry Mac & Cheese by Strength & Sunshine
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese by Veggie Inspired
- The Creamiest Mac ’n Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale
- Smooth and Creamy Penne Alla Vodka by Other Than Salad
My easy blender alfredo sauce is pretty tasty too!
Ice cream is one of my all-time favorite foods! But I have to confess, I tend to be lazy when it comes to ice cream. I haven’t tried making my own. I enjoy So Delicious Dairy Free ice creams for an occasional treat. But my fellow bloggers inspire me. Here are a few of their recipes:
- Turkish Coffee Ice Cream by My Darling Vegan
- No Churn Dairy-Free Creamy Almond Butter Ice Cream by Unconventional Baker (pictured above)
- Mini Vanilla Ice Cream Cakes with Caramel Sauce by Vegan Huggs
- Strawberry Nicecream with Chocolate Macadamias by Vie de la Vegan
- Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookie Dough “Blizzards” by Pumpkin & Peanut Butter
- Chocolate Shell Vegan Ice Cream Sandwiches by Beaming Baker
- 2 Ingredient Cantaloupe Ice Cream by Elephantastic Vegan
- Choco-Banana Ice Cream by Veg Annie
Mayo, Sour Cream, Dressings & Dips
My Veggie Coleslaw recipe features lovely avocado mayo and cashew sour cream. My fellow food bloggers also offer some great homemade options.
- Real Deal Non-Dairy Sour Cream by Eat Within Your Means
- Mayo by Opti Cook
- Creamy Cumin Ranch Dressing by Veggie Inspired
- Vegan French Onion Dip by Veggie Inspired (pictured above)
- Vegan Cashew Caesar Dressing by Tasting Page
- Five Minute Ranch Dressing by The Vegan Video Pantry
I don’t use butter very often. But here are some easy plant-based home-made options for when you just gotta have it!
- Easy Vegan Butter by A Virtual Vegan (pictured above)
- Homemade Vegan Butter by The Taste Space
- Vegan Zucchini Butter by Vermilion Roots
I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to share additional dairy-free recipes and resources in the comment area!