This gluten-free vegan Cucumber Sandwich makes a clean, quick and easy lunch. Adding a slice of onion will provide an extra bit of zip. Jump to recipe →
If you have a garden – or have a friend with a garden – you likely have plenty of cucumbers. You can use them in:
Or, you can make cucumber sandwiches! The trick is to slice the cucumber lengthwise nice and thin. I recommend using a mandolin unless you are exceptionally skilled with a chef’s knife. I use a mandolin.
According to Wikipedia, “the traditional cucumber sandwich is composed of paper-thin slices of cucumber placed between two thin slices of crustless, lightly buttered white bread.” This Cucumber Sandwich is a bit more rustic. Yes, it features thinly sliced cucumber. But, butter? Forget about it! Crustless white bread? Not in a million years!
This tasty sandwich is housed between slices of hearty sprouted grain or gluten-free bread. The creamy Turmeric White Bean Spread adds protein and tomato and onion enhance the clean flavor of cucumber. This sandwich will stick with you without making you feel overly full.
Turmeric White Bean Spread
This bean spread is super easy to prepare. You simply add the ingredients to a food processor.
Then blend until it reaches the desired consistency. You can leave it a bit chunky or blend until smooth.
Here are some other easy spreads you could try with this cucumber sandwich:
- 2 cups cooked white beans (or 1 15.5 oz can, rinsed and drained)
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp. fine sea salt (if using unsalted beans)
- 3-5 Tbsp. water
- 2 slices sprouted grain or gluten-free bread (lightly toasted if desired)
- 2-4 Tbsp. Turmeric White Bean Spread
- 4 long thin slices English cucumber
- 2-4 thin slices tomato
- 1-2 thin slices red onion (if desired)
- Add beans, onion, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, turmeric, salt and 3 Tbsp. of water to a food processor fitted with an S blade and blend until smooth. (You may need to add 1 or 2 additional Tbsp. of water to reach desired consistency.)
- Spread 1 Tbsp. Turmeric White Bean Spread on a slice of bread. Top with cucumber, tomato, and onion (if desired) with a bit of Turmeric White Bean Spread between each layer. Then top with a final dollop of spread and the remaining slice of bread.
Note: I do not include nutrition information with my recipes because I subscribe to the theories presented in the book Whole and believe we should focus on eating a variety of whole foods instead of counting calories or keeping track of individual nutrients. Note: This page contains affiliate links. Veggie Primer may earn a commission if you use the links. I only recommend items/brands I use and trust.