Keeping a supply of baked sweet potatoes in the fridge can be a real time saver. It makes sense. Baked sweet potatoes take about an hour to cook. You can prepare a snack or meal much faster if you eliminate that step.
I usually bake 3-4 large potatoes at a time and store them in the fridge in a plastic bag with the skins intact. Then I peel and prep as needed.
You might be saying that’s all well and good, but then what? How do you use the baked sweet potatoes?
Since adopting a plant-based diet my imagination has soared far beyond the candied sweet potatoes I enjoyed every Thanksgiving holiday. I offer you 6 ways to enjoy baked sweet potatoes.
6 Ways To Enjoy Baked Sweet Potatoes
1. Warm Salad
Like this Warm Teriyaki Quinoa Salad
2. Cold Salad
Like this Sweet Potato Green Salad
Like this Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
4. Veggie Burgers
Like these Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers
Like this Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie
I’m sure this list will grow. I’m itching to try a sweet potato pizza crust. Can you think of some other ways to enjoy baked sweet potatoes? Feel free to share your ideas in the comment area below or on Facebook or Instagram.
Sweet Potatos vs. Yams
Did you know the root vegetables commonly called “yams” in the U.S. are actually a soft variety of sweet potato? Yep! I explain the details in my Sweet Potatoes vs. Yams article.
How To Bake Sweet Potatoes
It seems kind of silly to heat a big oven just to bake a few sweet potatoes. I didn’t fall in love with baking sweet potatoes until I got my Breville Toaster Oven. Baking sweet potatoes in a toaster oven is a snap because it heats up quickly and turns off automatically. I can put sweet potatoes in the toaster oven, set the timer and essentially forget about them.
Regardless of the baking mechanism, the basic steps are the same:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (I don’t bother waiting for the toaster oven to preheat because it only takes a couple of minutes. I stick the potatoes in as soon as I turn it on.)
- Wash potatoes, pat dry and prick the tops several times with a fork.
- Place potatoes on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake approximately 1 hour or until potatoes feel soft when squeezed gently with tongs or oven mitt.
You can also cook sweet potatoes in a slow cooker! While I prefer baking, a slow cooker can be a great time saver if you aren’t home during the day.
- Wash 4-6 medium sweet potatoes (or more if you have a large slow cooker) but do not pat dry.
- Place in slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until soft when squeezed gently with tongs or oven mitt.
Why Sweet Potatoes?
Why am I such a fan of sweet potatoes? Aside from their delightful sweet taste, they pack a nutritional punch. As noted in the Sweet Potatoes vs. Yams article, they are associated with a decreased risk of a number of diseases. They are also believed to promote great things like immunity and good vision! In other words, they are delicious AND good for you!